October 18, 2007

Week one...

It's raining. But somehow it's still sunny and hot. And I mean raining. Like, a down pour. It's going to be a fun walk back to my home!

I made it to Cambodia! Not only to Camboida but to my home at Samaritan Love Mission in Sihanoukville!

It has been nothing but craziness since I arrived! There was a big convention at SLM my first day here, the next day was spent in the sky blue waters of the Indian ocean. Sunday I taught sunday school and spent some more time in the ocean. Monday I went to the hospital to hand out food, water and to pray with the patients. Then I began teacing in my evening classes. Tuesday was my first normal day, teaching in the morning and evening. I get my afternoons off to myself. =)

The morning school is made up of underprivilaged children from a group home and a village. I think some are just locals around the city. I teach nursery and grade one. I teach art and english. It is very hard to be left alone in a room with 23 or so nursery students who don't speak a word of english. They are learning their ABC's. Afernoons I usually read alot, maybe take a nap, a walk, prepare for my lessons. Very relaxing things. This week only, I am covering for an english teacher from 5:30-6:30. Then I teach my own classes from 6:30-8:30. I teach advanced english. It is so much fun!! You have no idea how delightful my students are.

I am really enjoying myself here. I'm not saying it's easy. Far from it. But God is good and He is providing for me. The people I live with couldn't be better. I live with two Cambodians and two Indians. Along with learning about Cambodian culture, I am learning alot about India as well. Tongpong, Raja and Watanak are becoming like brothers to me. Our director and Pastor, Jonah, is home in India for 3-4 weeks right now.

I would like to tell you story's and jokes and everything that has been happening, but I have been sitting in this internet cafe for about two hours now. In about a month I will have internet at SLM, so I will write many more things then. Until then, I will only have short snipits for you.

I miss many of you very much already.

Hey, it stopped raining. =)

4 comments:

Joe Olafson said...

Bri -
I'll have a regular grande in a venti cup. Just kidding.
I am glad to hear that you are busy and things are going well.
I have to say I am jealous and wish I was there -- but I will actively read your blog and live vicariously through you.
Keep up the good work.
Take care,
Joe

Bri said...

Thanks Joe!! It's nice having someone understand the culture that I'm living in!

If there's anything you want me to bring back for you, just let me know!

Q&L said...

You know what's funny?? You're already writing your blog as though you are talking English to Cambodians...it's so cute. You know how when we were there, we simplified the English (excluding the slang), and spoke properly... That's how you're writing now...it's so funny!! lol Thanks Brianna.

sunshine said...

hey Brianna. have you seen any of our cute little kids we taught??? are you going to get to go out to pholly's village again? did you get a room with air conditioning? speaking of which, are you in rainy season right now? I have so many things I want to know. thank you for your blog. I'm praying for you!!