November 10, 2007

Going to the country

I just arrived home from a walk with my little brother Kong. He really knows where to take a girl!! I can't believe how BEAUTIFUL Cambodia is!! We walked for about two hours. We started out walking through town and then down to a rich part of the city. Then we walked by the ocean, where I was able to take my sandles off and walk in the water. Once away from the beach we past probably hundreds of coconut trees that lined the street. The street over from it was covered with mango trees. There was a tree that had the most beautiful flowers on it, so Kong picked me a boquet of them! From there we walked through the mountains/country side to get to his home. He has 7 brothers and sisters, and they live a in a very tiny home where they have a shop out front. I was very honoured that he took me. I've told him many times before I would like to meet his family and see his home, but I think he is embarrassed of it. I've spoken to a few other Cambodian's and they have told me about their struggles of being embarrassed of their homes and taking foreigners to see it, but now they are proud. These people are now in their mid 20s. Kong is only 16. We literally stayed maybe 2 minutes, but it was great. I asked him if it would be ok if I came back with my camera and took pictures of his home and family. He seemed genuinely pleased about it. Kong is a Christian, and so is one of his brothers. But the rest of the family isn't. He confided some family problems to me during our walk. I love this boy very much. He has stolen my heart. I see so much potential in him!! I want so badly for him to succeed in life and to be happy. I need to remember that God wants that for him more than me. I need to be praying for him and his family. One of his little brothers, Kadol, is one of my grade 1 students. He is too cute. I am so blessed to be surrounded by these people. Kong told me he is going to buy me pizza for my birthday because he wants me to be happy and not want to go home. I told him I miss the people at home, but I want to be in Cambodia. I'm not going home anytime soon. He asks me many other questions about different things I like. I think he has some other things up his sleeve. He mentioned something about a friut salad. Mmmmmm....

While we were walking I asked him many questions. Mainly about the land and homes we were seeing. I was literally walking with my mouth open at times I was in awe of the beauty around me. And the prices of a home. There were homes that in Canada would easily cost at least $250 thousand. Kong says that they are around 15 - 20 thousand here. I am very seriously considering - God willing - that I want to buy a home out here. Not right now. But maybe within the next 10 years. I wouldn't live out here all the time. Maybe 4 - 6 months of the year. But this is a BIG dream. I have no idea if I will be married with children or what I'll be doing for a living. This may not be possible. But. There's always retirement! Think about it. I could retire in Canada and live moderatly, or I can retire in this paradise where I would live like a queen and I can help the people at the same time. Cambodia will always be in my heart. It will always be apart of my life.

I feel as though I have alot to be thinking and praying on.

Phi Run just came banging on my door, I have to go to their football game now (soccer). Every Saturday the boys here at SLM and a bunch of others play football. They aren't very good, but they just play for fun. I like cheering them on.

Tomorrow I head to a village to hold a medical clinic and I am also preaching the sermon!! Eeek! Here we go!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it your calling?

Bri said...

Was what my calling?