November 8, 2007

learning to count all over again

Yesterday I ate peanut butter and jelly for breakfast. I’m not kidding you when I say that my mouth was literally watering as I was spreading. I long for North American food. It’s really not that bad, I’m just having problems with the rice and I’m not sure why. I can only eat a small portion before I start gaging. Yep, I gag. One night Jonah told me I had to eat everything on my plate. I tried really hard, but on one of the bites I gaged so severly that I actually vomited in my mouth a little. I swallowed it and made myself finish the bite in my mouth. That is a typical dinner for me. Ugh. We eat at weird hours too. Breakfast is during “recess” at 9:10. Then lunch is anywhere between 1-3. We eat dinner when I finish teaching at 8:30. Some evenings we don’t get to dinner until 9:30 - 10:00. I eat a lot of bananas and crackers and usually skip lunch so I don’t have to eat any rice. If you’re reading this, please, go to your fridge and have a big glass of cold milk, and something delicious to eat. That is what my body has been craving lately. That and coffee…..

I finally have internet in my bedroom. The catch, we only have access to the internet between 6pm and 6am. I teach from 6:30 - 8:30 and then I am usually having dinner and praying with the other residents of the house until 10. Last night was closer to 11. I think I might begin to lose sleep.

I`m Having trouble believing that it`s November already. My birthday is on December 2, and it`s coming up in like three weeks!! I can`t even comprehend that right now. It`s hot and sunny. That does not equal my birthday. But!! It does however, mean that I can for the first time in my life have, not only a swimming party, but swimming in the ocean. The Indian ocean at that. It really is the warmest ocean. Some days the water is like a lukewarm bath. It`s only mildly refreshing. When you`re sweating and hot already, you want cold or at least cool water, not bath tub water. But hey, I shouldn`t complain - what`s the temperature in Winnipeg right now?

I was invited to a wedding! It’s on November 17th. I can’t wait to see what a Khmer wedding looks like.

There are many holidays here in Cambodia. Today is Thursday November 8th, and once again there is no school tomorrow. Last week there was no morning school on Monday and Wednesday. The week before my birthday is the Water Festival. I believe we get three days off. Yay for Cambodian holidays!!

I would really love to hear from you!! If you ever want to send me mail that would be wonderful!! My address is:

Samaritan Love Mission
c/o Brianna Siis
POST BOX 9401
CT Road, Sangkat 3, Mondol 2, Khan Mittapheap
Sihanoukville, Cambodia

If you have any Christmas pictures/cards of you and yours, I would be ecstatic to receive them here and show them off!

1 comment:

Q&L said...

Too bad about the rice Brianna. I loved the rice, I still love rice...I feel bad for you, but you gotta eat. If you wanna fight the superbugs in Cambodia, your body needs food! Nourishment. Praying for Sunday, that you'll shoot from the heart, God's heart.