November 26, 2007

little girl big city


I just had a great weekend!






It was a big holiday in Cambodia and I went to Phnom Penh to visit my friend Rachel. I was also going to see my good friends Alila and Akum. It was the Water Festival. It's one of Cambodia's biggest holiday's.






Friday morning Tongpang, myself, and 3 other Naga's caught the bus headed to capitol city. There was a lot of confusion when we arrived, but it all got sorted out. I went directly to a home where I ate the most delicious Thanksgiving dinner! Oh goodness you have no idea how wonderful it was! They even had cranberry sauce - not that I eat cranberry sauce, but they still had it! It was a really good afternoon! We played apples to apples!! I love that game!! I always play it at Andrew's house. I thought of him and his mom all afternoon while we played. There was also a two week old Cambodian baby there! He was such a little peanut!! The family that hosted the dinner is a foster family. This little guy was looking for a home. Let me tell you, if I had a husband, we'd be parents!




From that home we went to another turkey dinner. This one was a little extra speacial - the turkey's were sent in from America! No Cambodian turky for us! All in all it was a great evening spent with white people. Very refreshing!




Saturday morning Rachel and I met Alila and Akum for breakfast. It was so great seeing them! They are from Nagaland which is in India. It's found in Northeast India, and I have many friends from there. Akum and Alila live in a different part of Cambodia, so I don't see them very much. This was a great treat! I attached a picture of Rachel, Alila and myself.




Later in the afternoon Rachel and a few of her teammates and I went down to the river side to watch the boat races. I have to admitt, it was mildly boreing. I have also attached a picture from the festival.




Saturday evening Rachel and I went to a birthday party, only it was more like a Cambodian wedding reception. Huge party! Lot's of food, lot's of dancing! We spent the night at her Khmer teachers home. Her name is Nida. She's really fantastic! I spent the night in a little mud/stick hut. It actually wasn't bad. I had a good solid nights sleep.




In the morning Rachel took me to her church. It's just a small little house church. My friend Tida translated for me. Oh!! Tida!! Let me tell you about him! He lived in Winnipeg for a year about two years ago!! He was there for school. It was an exchange program. I can't even begin to tell you how good it was to be able to talk about my home town with a Cambodian who actually understood!! Anyways, after church Tida and Rachel dropped me off at the home Tongpang was staying at for the weekend. He was there for a Christan Naga Fellowship Weekend. That's why I was able to see Alila and Akum. I also was able to see my friend Molo. I'm going to go up to Siem Reap for a few days at Christmas time to see them. I am very excited!


The ride home was unepectedly pleasent. I sat with Aduoo (one of the Naga's I don't know very well) and we ended up talking for almost 5 hours straight! It was great! I learnt so much about Nagaland.



I just feel so rejuvenated and peaceful after this weekend. It was really great. Just great...

9 comments:

Q&L said...

great that you got some R&R this weekend. rejuvanation is good... back to the work of the Lord, have a good week.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a really good time Brianna. I'm very glad!! I think Tida was the name of the Cambodian that Lorissa knew from here. I think he met us at the monkey place.

Erin

Bri said...

You're right, it is the same guy.

Thanks Erin, I hope you're doing good as well!

Anonymous said...

I love your pics doll face.
:)

T and C said...

Its great to hear about your experiences Brianna. I think more people read your blog than you think! Please keep us updated so we know what to pray for. Stay strong; there are many people thinking of you back in Canada (even in Quebec)!

T and C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trevor said...

I am so glad you had a great time! You rock Cambodia...so many parties. It is so good to hear about what is going on for you.

Bri said...

Please don't hate me - but t&c who are you??? I have friends in Montreal, but I don't think your them. They aren't getting married until next summer...

Do we know each other?

T and C said...

T&C = Tom and Candice Scatliff :)