December 26, 2007

glad tidings we bring



Ok, so I wrote this a few days ago and I am only posting it now. Please forgive me. We've been really busy here. I'll update more about my Christmas day tomorrow hopefully.


That's Kong and our sunset in the pictures

-----------------------------------------------------


I can barely believe that today is Christmas Eve. It’s been such a normal day, nothing special. I woke up late (ugh) taught my children, made a few phone calls to Canada, finished marking exams and filling out report cards, wrapped some pens with the other teachers, did some laundry.

Seriously, it’s Christmas today?

I can’t complain though. I’m happy. I’m looking forward to tomorrow and our big Christmas program. Rachha and I are the MC’s. He’s very nervous. I think it’s cute. I still have to write that “Christmas in Canada” speech. I better get on it.

I had the best weekend! God totally knew that I needed it, and I am so happy He gave it to me.

It kind of began on Thursday. I had to catch a bus to Phnom Penh at 8:15 am. It was a good time in the big city. I stayed with Rachel for the night. In the morning we caught the 7am bus for Sihanoukville. It was a nice relaxing afternoon. In the evening I had to give my final exam. It went well. Saturday morning we decorated the chapel for Christmas. In the afternoon Kong, Seyha and myself went for a walk up the mountain behind our home. It was not quite what I expected, and that’s ok with me! I was under the impression that there was a little road we would walk.

Not.

At certain points I was actually rock climbing, a first for me. No net, no support straps. Just me and nature.

We eventually made it to the top. It didn’t take that long. We took a short cut, that’s why I was walking through grass that was almost as tall as me. I prayed so hard that there would be no snakes or landmines.

Eek!

We hung out at the top of the mountain for about half and hour, maybe more, before we went back down. When we made it back to SLM Vothanak joined us in our adventures. They were far from over!!

We all went to the beach to watch the sunset. It was so much fun to just go and goof off with the boys. At one point we were throwing Vothanak’s sandals as Frisbee’s.

Hey, you work with what you’ve got…

It was too cloudy, so the sunset wasn’t as spectacular as it could have been, but it was still good.

From there we drove around for a long time. We went to a few different places at the port. Finally we returned around 8:30pm. In Cambodia, that’s pretty late.

Sunday was equally as good. Rachel, Tongpang and myself went out for breakfast at a very western type place. It was good. They had very good coffee.

We walked home and stopped at a music store. I bought a Christmas CD and a Khmer wedding music CD. All together it cost $2. I love Cambodia…

I corrected some exams and got ready for church. After church the staff of SLM were invited to a few different church Christmas programs. So we went to two different churches. After when we came home Vothanak let me drive his motto around the yard! Yesss, I have now officially driven a motto!

Sweet!!

And this week when we have some time off, he’s going to take me to some lesser travelled roads so I can really learn! I am very excited!!

Ok, I better go and finish wrapping Christmas presents and prepare that speech of mine!

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM CAMBODIA EVERYONE!!!!

4 comments:

Trevor said...

I hope you had a great Christmas!

I love that you played frisbee with a shoe...sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Bri!
I hope you have a good New Year's!
I love reading your blog. Everytime I read one of your entries I am immediately taken back to Cambodia.
Thank you so much.
Joe

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of the sunset! It's gorgeous. Sounds like you're really living life to the fullest. Miss you my friend!

Andrew (Hedlin)

Anonymous said...

I miss you as well my dear.
Your pictures are amazing!
I think of you a lot, and you are in my prayers!
Pray for me to be disciplined at balancing school and work this semester!! I think it might be a toughy.
peace&prayerslovenay:)