December 4, 2007

WoOOow!!

Today I accidentally taught my nursery kids the word, "wow".

It's so funny, they lift their work in the air and yell WOW to get my attention. I always say things to them when they show me their pictures. Like, "very nice"good job"that's great!"beautiful"lovely"wonderful" And I'll throw in the few words I know in Khmer, like "sa-aat" which means beautiful, or "la-or", or"som la-or" which means good or very good. It even stands for nice.

Today Darith was drawing a picture of something (I'm really not sure what it was..) and I said "Wow! Thats's great!" He he mimicked me. Well, it wasn't long before the whole class had caught on to the wow craze! It's great! I love it!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonight I saw Kong. It was really good. I was finally able to give him a great big hug! In Khmer culture it's very taboo for a girl and boy to show affection to each other in public. Even if you're married. But Kong is a Christian, and alot of Khmer culture comes from the buhddist monks around. So Kong likes to hug. Which is great because I do not get enough hugs around this place. At his home and the funeral I wasn't able to give him a consoling hug. It was almost too much for me. Seeing him cry, and being all alone, and I had to keep my mitts off. I broke the rules a bit though. I rubbed his arms and linked arms with him briefly.
It was very scandelous...
He's doing good. We were able to talk about some things this evening. I am invited to the seventh day party that will finally end the mourning period. If you're rich, this party business could last up to a year, with having a party every month or so (I think..). This will be the end for the Lee family.
Kong told me that he was going to come over to my home Saturday morning and ask me to come with him to the hospital to pray for his father and to help him share the Gospel with him. His family had been keeping the seriousness of his illness from Kong. They told him Friday night how serious it was. But he was too late. His father passed on around 4am on Saturday. He never got the chance to go and say goodbye. Friday night the entire family went to the hospital to see him and take care of him, but someone had to stay at home to take care of things, so Kong stayed. He was the only one who didn't get to see his father. =(
He has a positive attitude about this. So that's really good. We even laughed and joked tonight. I'll never forget the words he said to me at the funeral on Monday. I couldn't believe how grown up he was. I am so proud of him. He is being a great example to his family.
I really love this boy. I wish I could take him home and keep him.
I guess 5 years is too close to adopt him, huh?

3 comments:

Trevor said...

What a roller-coaster! Poor Kong, it sounds like a horrible time for him. I appreciate your heart and the way that you care about people.

Trevor said...

Oh yeah, happy belated birthday...I was thinking of you on Sunday, but you were probably in bed!

Unknown said...

Wow, that's great!

My heart and prayers go out to Kong. I know he must be a cool kid. Keep us updated on him as I'm sure you will!

Rock and roll